Thursday, January 3, 2013

Romania is more than Bucharest

I've been living in New York fore mor than 4 months andI got so used to their amazing customer service that it was very hard to readapt. I think I ha a small fight with many cab drivers or just cashiers because of how unpolite and unprofessional they are. I just realised thought that this is a common thing forr Bucharest and I can also feel it in Brasov, my home town. This new years eve I decided to ake a train and travel for more than 10 hours and spend some time with amazing people that I see very rarely as they lie so far away and as some study abroad. Visiting Sibiu, Arad and Timisoara was as always an interesting experience but left me with something more. The cities are gorgeous! I saw amazing churches and I was very warmly suprised about the Christmas markets. They were realy getting close to the once I saw in Germany. Of coutse our culture is different and we might not be ready yet to be like others and meet friends outside in the cold while drinking 'gluhwein'. But it's nice! So yes I traveled so much and seen some many beautiful places and now I just discoverd this side of Romania is so different so grown up. Firstly yes it's not so clean and some buildings are in a very bad shape but the people make the place. Arad an Timisoara this time made me see outside the box, Bucharest. Cab drivers here are extremly nice. They don't ask you befire entering the car if where you go so they won't reject your request. They don't even try to fool you or don't give you youre change back taking it as their tip. No!This doesn't happen and let me tell you cashiers and waiters are even nicer. I couldn't believe that in Arad where we din't tip( don't think little of me) the lady was very polite and even wished us a good new year. Really?! Is this even possible? I think yes and I would recommand each one of you to get out of your town and visit other cities and feel what Romania is like and not limit it to the bad things that represent Bucharest! Be more than that! I love Bucharest because of the many cultural activities around and also the various options of entertainment. But I dislike so much taking a taxi or having to get along woth various cashiers but this is the reality. There is no escape but there is hope if you experience more:)

As I am very tired I end by telling you there is no place I feelt better when going to stay at someone as a Romanian. I ha some experiences and It got me to the conclusion that whatever our sotuation we always embrace and welcome others in our house as if it's also their home! Think about it ;)

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment